Depending upon your tastes and nutritional needs using wide variety of fruits like banana, strawberry, mango etc. you can make smoothies. Adding whey protein makes your smoothies more calorie dense which can help gain weight in a healthy way providing protein.
- Peanut butter
- Whey protein powder
- Cocoa powder
Steps to Follow
- Blend 1 cup of whole milk and a fresh banana or strawberry in a blender until smooth in consistency. Whole milk contains 3.25 percent fat; a cup provides about 146 calories. Bananas are high in natural sugars and contain about 105 calories on average. Use juice, almond milk or soy milk instead of milk if you prefer.
- Add a tablespoon of cashews, peanuts or almonds to the smoothie and blend again. Nuts are high in healthy unsaturated fats and are calorie-dense. Alternatively add peanut butter, which contains 100 calories per tablespoon.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of whey protein powder to the basic smoothie and blend until the powder is dissolved. This type of protein can help you build muscle mass if you are trying to gain weight. Whey protein is derived from milk and contains essential amino acids and other nutrients.
- Flavor your smoothie with 1 tablespoon of honey or cocoa powder and blend until uniformly mixed. Honey offers natural sweetening and contains 60 calories per tablespoon. Dark, unsweetened cocoa powder has antioxidants and provides about 12 calories per tablespoon. You also can flavor a smoothie with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg powder.
- You also can use yogurt and water to make a smoothie. Regular yogurt provides fat as well as probiotics, calcium and other nutrients to help with your weight gain.
- Add flaxseeds or other seeds to your smoothie for more health benefits and calories.
- Drink your smoothie immediately after making it. If there is any left over, you can cover and store it in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Gain weight with healthy and calorie dense foods to reduce the risk of health problems, such as high cholesterol.
- Avoid adding large amounts of sugary and high-fat ingredients to your smoothie. Dextrose works better than sugar providing instant energy.
- Check the instruction label on the protein powder and use it only as directed. One scoop whey protein powder is adequate as it contains more then 20 gm protein for a single serving.
- If you are lactose-intolerant, avoid milk and whey protein.